Posts for category: Uncategorized
One of the most common problems that Americans have is gastroesophageal reflux disease, better known as acid reflux. The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases estimates that up to 30 percent of the American population may struggle with it at some point in their lives. It’s common for patients who have a history of eating foods that disrupt their digestive system. You can get help dealing with acid reflux from Dr. James Maddox in Garland, TX.
What Is Acid Reflux and What Causes It?
When acid regurgitates from your stomach back into your esophagus, this is called acid reflux. It happens because a valve entering the stomach doesn’t close completely after you consume food. Patients who have a hernia may be more prone to this condition. The symptoms include a feeling of burning in the chest, excess mucus in the throat, bad breath, constant burping or hiccups, nausea, and bloating of the stomach. Eating foods (especially spicy ones) right before bed can aggravate symptoms, and patients who are overweight or frequently drink acidic beverages may also have recurrent acid reflux.
Acid Reflux Treatments
Garland ENT Dr. Maddox may have a solution to help you calm your acid reflux symptoms. Here are a few options you’ll talk about:
- Endoscopy or X-rays to look at the esophagus and stomach.
- Esophageal monitoring to see how the acid levels vary in your stomach during the course of a day.
- Prescription medication to reduce stomach acid after eating.
- Dietary modifications, including a nutritional consultation.
- Fundoplication surgery to tighten the lower esophageal sphincter.
Managing Acid Reflux at Home
After you consult your doctor and get treatment for acid reflux, you must also manage the condition at home and make important changes. Here are a few tips for how to keep symptoms in check:
- Avoid eating foods or snacks right before you lay down (at any time of day) and take a walk after a meal instead.
- Eat more vegetables and reduce your consumption of foods or beverages that are spicy, salty, carbonated, or acidic.
- Quit using tobacco products.
- Take action to lose weight and maintain a normal BMI.
Get Treatment for Acid Reflux
Acid reflux can be a difficult condition to manage, but a doctor can help. Call (972) 272-5555 today to schedule a visit with Dr. James Maddox, an ENT serving patients in Rowlett and Garland, TX.
Welcome to the Blog of James B Maddox MD PA
James B Maddox MD PA would like to welcome you to our blog. Here you will find informative and useful postings about otolaryngology and our practice.
At James B Maddox MD PA we believe that educated patients are better prepared to make decisions regarding their health and wellbeing. Our blog was designed to provide you with valuable ear, nose and throat information, the latest otolaryngology developments and health advice from our dedicated team.
James B Maddox MD PA hopes you find our blog to be a great resource for keeping up to date with proper otolaryngology care and treatments.
We welcome all comments and questions.
-- James B Maddox MD PA