By James B. Maddox, M.D.
March 16, 2020
What Your ENT specialists in Pembroke Pines and Hollywood want you to know
If you have allergies, you know how miserable they can be. You’ve experienced the runny nose, itchy eyes and sneezing. The good news is you can get relief from allergies. Your ear, nose and throat specialists in Garland, TX, want to help you control your allergy symptoms.
Allergies are caused by your body’s reaction to an irritating substance, called an allergen. Common allergens can be from animals, foods or plants. You can also experience allergy symptoms throughout the year. Common spring and summer allergens include grass or tree pollen. In the fall or winter, you may experience indoor allergies from mold, pet dander or dust mites.
Fortunately, you can do something about your allergies, but the first thing to do is find out what you are allergic to. Your ENT specialists will do comprehensive allergy testing to determine what your body is reacting to. Common allergy testing methods include:
- Skin tests; injecting small amounts of allergen slightly under the skin; a positive reaction usually happens within 20 minutes.
- Challenge tests; you ingest or inhale a small amount of allergen and wait for a reaction; this test is used to determine food or medication allergies.
- Blood tests; a small amount of blood is sent to a laboratory for testing.
Once the allergy testing is complete, there are effective treatments to cope with your allergies, including allergy injections and sublingual drop therapy.
There are many things you can do at home too in order to limit exposure to allergens and decrease your symptoms. Consider:
- Taking over-the-counter antihistamines and decongestants
- Nasal irrigation with saline solution to clean out your nasal passages
- Placing allergy or HEPA filters in your house, especially your bedroom
- Frequently vacuuming or replacing carpeting with hardwood floors
- Using hypoallergenic pillowcases and bedding
- Keeping pets from coming into your bedroom and off of furniture
- Closing windows and doors in spring and summer to limit pollen exposure
You don’t have to deal with your allergies alone. Allergy relief is just a phone call away from your ear, nose and throat specialists, James B. Maddox, M.D., in Garland, TX. Call today and feel better!